Share, email, print, bookmark SOURCE reports.

[broadstreet zone=”52386″]

FRAMINGHAM – Yesterday, a cell phone fire forced the evacuation of a wing of Framingham High and the rest of the high school had a shelter in place.

While there were no injuries the fire was an inconvenience for many at Framingham High.

Framingham Fire Chief Michael Dutcher said the “cell phone fire at Framingham High was most likely due to a degraded battery in the phone.”

Lithium-ion batteries can heat up and catch fire, explained the fire chief. 

[broadstreet zone=”53903″]

Lithium-ion batteries are used safely in everyday items from cell phones to electric vehicles but may degrade from one or all of the following:

  • Dropping & damaging the battery
  • Hot Temperatures & environments
  • Using the wrong charger
  • Getting the phone wet
  • Battery punctured

If you notice any of the following, discontinue use:

  • Swelling
  • Deformation
  • Odor
  • Frequent, unexplained overheating

Cell phones have many built in safety features, so it’s important to avoid battery failure by paying close attention to signs of battery damage, said the Framingham Fire Chief.

[broadstreet zone=”59946″]

[broadstreet zone=”59983″]

Editor’s Note: Stock photo

By editor

Susan Petroni is the former editor for SOURCE. She is the founder of the former news site, which as of May 1, 2023, is now a self-publishing community bulletin board. The website no longer has a journalist but a webmaster.