ASHLAND – The Town of Ashland, a community of about 19,000 individuals, is advertising for a full-time position of Communications Coordinator in the Economic Development Department.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for communicating to the public the information and activities of the Town through the use of all available communication channels, including social media, constant contact and print media.
The incumbent is also responsible for assisting with the programming and implementation of community events throughout town.
The salary range is $50,000 to $60,000.
The deadline to apply is January 22, 2023.
The coordinator would:
- Proactively seek information concerning the activities and operations of the Town that should be communicated with the public; prepare and present appropriate communication materials for public audience.
- Support the efforts of the Economic Development Department in marketing Ashland businesses through various media platforms.
- In collaboration with departments and committees, ensure that website content is fresh and up-to-date.
- Develop a communications strategy to increase citizen engagement and to effectively implement technology solutions, including social media, to meet this objective.
- Work with non profit organizations in town to assist in the development of new and innovative programming and events in Ashland.
- Communicate to the public existing seasonal and cultural programming.
- Assist in the coordination of events with internal departments and outside vendors and organizations
- Plan and implement informational programs to maintain consistent communication with the public on a wide variety of topics.
- Assist with the marketing of the town to a variety of different audiences utilizing different platforms of communication.
- Assist the Executive Team in the presentation of major news and events to the public.
- Work with the Town Manager and public safety departments on time-sensitive emergency notification and information.
- Develop and periodically recommend policies and practices concerning external communications, including emergency notifications.
- Develop reports and communications as required by the Town Manager or designee in order to publicize or clarify Town activities, events, operational initiatives and program expenditures.
- Work with WACA to utilize video broadcast to develop and present community outreach programming on various media platforms.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community stakeholders.
- Establish and implement templates for presentations, website content, social media platform postings to ensure all Town communications are professional and uniform.
- Attend professional meetings, stay current with new communication media. Recommend appropriate changes to Town’s communication policies and practices to incorporate better procedures, practices, and materials.
- Other tasks or duties as assigned by the Town Manager or their designee.
Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree with specialization in communications or a related field; three to five (3-5) years in a profession requiring frequent communication with an external audience; experience with current social media and other technology utilized for communication purposes; familiarity with municipal government; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Must possess a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License.