FRAMINGHAM – The City of Framingham is advertising for a Director of Water and Wastewater in the Framingham Public Works Division.
The salary range is $97,482 to $111,500. The position was posted yesterday, September 21.
The director “performs highly responsible management of all functions of the Water and Wastewater departments in order to provide a potable and reliable water supply for residential and commercial uses as well as fire suppression and the collection and transport of wastewater to the MWRA in conformance with applicable federal and state regulations, according to the job posting.
Applicants should have Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, Public Administration or a related field; five to seven years related work experience; five (5) of which is in a progressively responsible supervisory position; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Driver’s License required; MA Drinking Water Grade 4D license or the ability to obtain within one year; collections system certificate Grade IV, and Massachusetts Certified Public
The Director works under the direction of the Deputy Director of Public Works with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action.
The Director supervises 52 full-time employees and four seasonal employees.
The use of vacation time is restricted between November 1 and March 31, and may not be approved.
▪ Prepares the department’s annual operating and capital budgets; performs cost control activities; ensures the effectiveness of expenditure of allocated funds; authorizes the purchase of supplies, materials and equipment.
▪ Responsible for the safe drinking water and collection and transport of wastewater in compliance with all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and State DEP wastewater and safe drinking water regulations, both in existence and to be promulgated; ensures operational, maintenance, and staff compliance with applicable safety regulations and other requirements governing construction, repair, and maintenance operations.
▪ Prepares and maintains a variety of records and reports; ensures that records and reports are accurately completed in a timely manner such that they satisfy State and Federal requirements and can be effectively utilized by department personnel.
▪ Provides substantial and comprehensive input to the Department’s capital Improvement Program as it relates to water and wastewater infrastructure.
▪ Manages and coordinates the operation and maintenance of pumping stations and regulatory devices program.
▪ Provides division response to inquiries from the public, other City Departments or regulatory agencies regarding water and wastewater operations.
▪ Prepares a variety of statistical information reports regarding usage, future demand and specifications for equipment.
▪ Keeps up to date on current and developing technical and regulatory information pertaining to the provision of municipal safe drinking water and the collection and transport of wastewater operational and regulatory or license issues.
▪ Develops, implements, and monitors short and long-term goals and objectives to achieve the Department’s mission and priorities.
▪ Provides project management for engineering, construction, and other department projects.
Work is performed primarily outdoors with exposure to variable outdoor weather conditions and hazards associated with sewage, and hazardous chemicals, mud, water, dust and grease; regularly required to work beyond normal business hours to attend evening meetings, emergency
situations or planned events. On-call 24 hours/7 days per week.
Visit www.framinghamma.gov/jobs to apply.
Position will be post for a minimum of 30 days.