FRAMINGHAM – The City of Framingham is advertising for an Assistant Library Director, to replace Lena Kilburn, who was recently promoted to Framingham Library Director. The City posted the position on Friday, September 18.
The Assistant Library Director is a 37.5 hour per week position, with some evening and weekends required. The salary range is $94,643 to $114,520.
The Assistant Library Director is responsible for assisting the Director in the administration of the Library operations. Work includes supervising and scheduling the work of employees, assessing and implementing policies and procedures, planning programs and events, and representing
the Library at various meetings. The assistant director assumes responsibility as department head during temporary absences of the Director.
The physical libraries in Framingham have been closed since the pandemic hit in March 2020.
▪ Assists Director by analyzing policies, procedures and services; suggests actions necessary to achieve most efficient and effective results.
▪ Facilitates communication between Library administration, staff and patrons; assesses impact of decisions on interdepartmental operations and relations.
▪ Schedules public service staff for summer hours and Sunday openings.
▪ Writes grants and reports, including annual statistical report for state aid.
▪ Assists in editing monthly newsletter.
▪ Prepares weekly payroll for public service staff.
▪ Screens, interviews and makes recommendations regarding the hiring of new personnel.
▪ Attends monthly meetings of Library Trustees and meetings of other City Boards and Committees as required.
▪ Serves as Library’s representative to and as a member of the board of various organizations and committees.
▪ Plans programs and events for the community based on needs or interests.
▪ Responds to staff and patron suggestions, resolves patron complaints, makes frequent contact with the media and public to discuss Library events and activities.
▪ May provide reference assistance, place annual periodical order, select and order non-fiction DVD’s for collection.
Applicants must have a Master’s Degree in Library Science, and5 to 7 years of Library administration and supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Employee works under the general direction of the Director of Libraries.
Employee is responsible for the direct supervision of 25 full time and 60 part-time employees, with time spent assigning, checking and reviewing
the work of subordinates. Supervisory responsibility includes direct accountability for work results. Employee is also responsible for assisting in budget development and control for the department, and may act as the department head during absences. A large number of employees are located in a separate location than the supervisor, and the workload is subject to fluctuations that can be planned for in advance.
To apply visit www.framinghamma.gov/jobs