By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University softball team swept Worcester State by scores of 6-2 and 2-0 Saturday afternoon in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader at Maple Street Field in Framingham
Framingham State improves to 24-10 overall and undefeated in Conference play at 10-0.
Worcester State drops to 20-14 overall and 6-4 in the MASCAC.
- In the opener, the Lancers grabbed a 2-0 lead with single runs in the top of the first and third.
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the fourth tying the game at 2-2 on an RBI single from Talia Duca and a sacrifice fly from Kelsey McGuill.
- The Rams took the lead for good on an RBI double from Camille Desrochers in he bottom of the fifth.
- Angelina Lynch plated a run with a single and Brooke Grassia and Lynch scored on a passed ball and wild pitch to account for the Rams final runs of the game in the bottom of the sixth.
- Ally Moran earned the victory in the circle going seven inning and allowing two runs, one earned, on seven hits with five strikeouts.
- Sarah Gosselin took the loss for the Lancers going five and a third, allowing four runs, three earned, on five hits with five strikeouts.
- Makayla Rooney finished the game 2-for-3 for the Rams with a run scored.
- In game two, Olyvia Mendonca for the Rams and Jen Thorburn for the Lancers were locked in a scoreless pitcher’s duel thru the first five innings.
- After Mendonca worked a scoreless top of the sixth, the Rams were finally able to push across a pair of runs of Thorburn. Brooke Grassia singled home the first run for the Rams and Desrochers added an RBI single later in the inning to account for the game’s only runs.
- Mendoca retired the Lancers in the seventh to earn the victory. Mendonca went seven innings, surrendering just two hits with a strikeout and no walks.
- Thorburn took the loss going six innings, allowing two earned runs on nine hits with two walks.
- Rooney and Desrochers finished game two with two hits apiece.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they host Lasell for a pair of games beginning at 3 p.m.