By Framingham State athletics
FFRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University baseball team received three home runs from Ryan Boyle and a complete game on the mound from Jimmy Gilleran as the Rams defeated Massachusetts Maritime 13-4 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Framingham’s Bowditch Field on March 31.
Framingham State improves to 7-7 and wins their conference opener.
Mass. Maritime drops to 9-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the bottom of the first the Rams grabbed a 1-0 lead on an RBI single to center from Robert Johnston.
- Mass. Maritime tied the game in the top of the third on a solo homer to right from Michael Estrada.
- The Rams took the lead back in the bottom of the third on a two-run homerun to left from Ryan Boyle.
- In the top of the fifth, Zach Sylvia doubled home a run pulling the Bucs back within one, but Boyle connected on his second two run homerun of the game in the bottom of the inning putting the Rams on top 5-2.
- Ryan Plocker stole home on the back end of a double steal, Shane Costello plated a run with a single and Johnston added a two-run single in the bottom of the sixth pushing the lead to 9-2.
- Boyle connected on his third home run of the day in the seventh pushing the lead to 13-2. The Bucs added single runs in the top of the eighth and ninth to reach the final margin.
- Gilleran earned the victory on the hill going nine innings allowing four earned runs on seven hits with eight strikeouts. Gilleran also went 2-for-5 at the plate in the game.
- Boyle finished the game 3-for-4 with three homeruns, four runs scored and seven RBI, while Johnston finished the game with three hits and three RBI.
UP NEXT: The Rams and the Bucs are back in action on Sunday when they meet at Mass. Maritime for a pair of games beginning at noon.