By Framingham State athletics
NORTON – The Framingham State women’s lacrosse team scored five fourth-quarter goals including a Leah Green goal with just over two minutes to play to break a 10-10 tie and send the Rams past Wheaton College on Wednesday night in Norton.
Framingham State won 11-10
It was the first loss for Wheaton College, which is now 5-1.
Framingham State earned its second victory and is now 2-3 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lyons jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with Darien Webb and Lara Finnie first quarter goals.
- In the second frame the Tara Palermo scored twice between Webb and Finnie each scoring once more, before Hannah Guerin sent both team into the break with the Rams down 4-3.
- Guerin and Madison Skiff each scored to open the third before the hosts ripped off four quick goals midway through the frame to take an 8-5 lead.
- Kate Simpson scored for the Rams a moment later but Avonlea LeBeau reset the Lyons lead to three scores in the final ticks of the third.
- The Rams came out on fire in the fourth scoring four straight goals. Leah Green and Regan Fein scored less than a minute apart from each other. Guerin then added two consecutive goals to give the Rams a 10-9 edge with 7:32 to play.
- The Lyons tied the game up a couple minutes later when Webb scored her fifth of the game. The Rams answered with 2:47 to play when Green converted a pass from Hailey Baker for the game winner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Webb led all scorers with five goals for the Lyons. Finne and LeBeau each added two a piece.
- Guerin scored four goals to lead the Rams while Green scored twice and Tara Palermo added two goals and an assist.
- Alexis Burliegh earns the win making 16 saves while Emily Oundjian made five stops in goal for Wheaton.
- The host Lyons outshot the Rams 34-to-24 and collected 37 ground balls to the Rams 19.
UP NEXT: The Rams return to the field on Saturday when they host Endicott at Maple Street Field at noon.