By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University softball team was defeated 9-1 in six innings by Suffolk University in game one of a non-conference doubleheader at Maple Street Field in Framingham, before rallying for a 4-2 victory in the nightcap.
The Framingham State Rams are now 5-1 on the season.
Suffolk University earned its first win of the season and is now 1-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 –
- In the opener, the FSU Rams took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. Sophomore Gwendolyn Carpenter (Ashley Falls, Mass.) walked and junior Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) followed with a double scoring Carpenter.
- The game remained 1-0 with neither team capitalizing when they had runners in scoring position until the top of the fifth.
- In the top of the fifth inning, the Suffolk Rams batted around plating six runs to take a 6-1 lead. Senior Ashley Zulla plated a pair with a single and sophomore Savanah Scripter followed with an RBI single up the middle. Sophomore Leina Belog delivered the big hit in the inning a three run homer to left making the score 6-1.
- The Suffolk Rams added three more on a three homer to right center from Scripter in the top of the sixth pushing the lead to 9-1.
- Suffolk was able to retire the Rams in the bottom of the inning to secure the run rule victory.
- Constance Phelan earned the victory in the circle going six innings allowing one earned run on five hits with four strikeouts and three walks.
- Sophomore Ally Moran (Wilmington, Mass.) took the loss for the Rams going four and two thirds allowing six runs, five earned, on 10 hits with two strikeouts and no walks.
Game 2 –
- In game two, Suffolk threatened in the top of the first with the bases loaded with one out, but the Rams were able record a double play started by freshman Mercedes Jimenez (Cambridge, Mass.) to end the inning.
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the frame. After loading the bases with one out, Carpenter scampered home from third on a wild pitch and graduate student Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) followed with a two run double to left for 3-0 lead after one.
- The Rams added a single run in the bottom of the third. Jimenez tripled and then scored on a wild pitch for a4-0 lead.
- The Suffolk Rams got on the board in the top of the sixth. The Rams had runners on second and third with no outs and received a two run single from Zulla cutting the deficit to 4-2.
- Moran came on in the seventh and retired Suffolk in order to secure the victory and earn her first collegiate save.
- Dick finished game two with a pair of hits and two RBI, while Carpenter went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- Pepin earned the victory in game two going five innings and allowing two unearned runs on four hits with three strikeouts.
- Leina Belog took the loss for Suffolk going two and two thirds allowing four runs, one earned, on three hits.
Framingham State is back in action on Friday when they host Westfield State for a pair of MASCAC games beginning at 2:30 p.m.