ASHLAND – For the first time, the very popular Ashland Farmers Market is hiring co-market managers & SNAP coordinators.
These are seasonal part-time positions.
The Market Manager serves as the positive, professional face of the Ashland Farmers Market, which is open on Saturdays from mid-June to early October.
The managers should be individuals who are “passionate about the food we eat, where it comes from, and about building a sense of community in our town.”
The Market is seeking 2 organized, enthusiastic and dedicated candidates.
” The ideal candidates will have an interest in local agriculture, food and nutrition, and promoting farmers markets. S/he should be reliable, friendly, self-motivated, and comfortable communicating with a diverse
customer base,” said the job posting.
This position pays $125 per market day plus hourly compensation for training.
The mission of the Ashland Farmers Market, which is part of the Ashland Healthy Harvest 501c3 non-profit, is to provide a venue for local farmers and small businesses to sell their products, improve nutrition by providing greater access to fresh local produce, educate residents about nutrition and sustainable agriculture and to build community while contributing to a vibrant town center in downtown Ashland.
The managers would be:
- Required to be on-site and available to vendors, customers, and volunteers during our regular hours of 9 a.m. t 1 p.m. each Saturday during the season. And be required to be onsite at 8 a.m. for setup, and until 1:30 p.m. or until breakdown of the market is complete each market day.
- Enforce market rules and policies to ensure proper parking, public safety and cleanliness of site.
- In addition, for the 2020 season, enforce additional State and Town safety measures (which will be provided to you by the Board of the Ashland Farmers Market) to ensure we limit the spread of
COVID-19, including but not limited to:
● Ensuring vendors are setup according to our guidelines to ensure safe social distancing
● Ensuring customers are adhering to all posted signs and guidelines regarding keeping a 6 foot distance between themselves and other customers or vendors
● Ensuring market traffic is flowing according to all posted signs and guidelines
● Communicate effectively with customers to explain food access policies like SNAP & HIP
● Tend to the Market Manager’s Tent to answer vendor questions and help customers conduct Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/EBT transactions, including updating daily records and market reports
- Maintain positive vendor relationships
- Resourceful, with strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and through hands-on experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, including tending to market needs with care while handling competing priorities
- Ability to maintain Market Day documentation, including documenting all financial transactions (cash, SNAP)
- Desire to meet new people, foster connections, build community relationships, and talk with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
If hired, the new managers must be available for training during the end of May, for about four hours.
To apply, please email your resume and anything you’d like us to know about you to Julia Chase at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply is May 20.