By Framingham State athletics
WORCESTER – The Worcester State University men’s ice hockey defeated Framingham State by a score of 5-1 on Thursday evening in MASCAC action.
Framingham State is now 2-3-1 overall.
Worcester State improves to 2-3-0 and 2-0-0 in the MASCAC
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lancers came out hot jumping ahead 2-0 within the first four minutes of play. Senior captain Henry Bruckner got Worcester State on the board early with a well-placed wrist shot from the right faceoff circle that snuck over the left shoulder of the Rams goalie.
- Worcester State wasted no time padding their lead, as less than thirty seconds later senior Nick Pennucci wrapped around the net and placed a centering pass right on the stick of senior Brendan Ronan who easily deposited goal number two in the back of the net.
- The rest of the period yielded no additional goals, but the Lancers controlled the pace of the game throughout the opening 20 minutes and went into the locker room with a two-goal lead and plenty of confidence.
- Worcester State came back onto the ice with the same energy, taking advantage of a powerplay opportunity three minutes into the second period. Senior Max Roth beat the Rams goalie again with an upper-third wrist shot to make the Lancer lead 3-0.
- About five minutes later, at 7:45, sophomore Cody Porcello got in on the scoring fun off an assist from Brendan Ronan to extend the deficit to 4-0.
- Framingham State would finally get themselves on the scoreboard with less than four minutes remaining in the period when Patrick Colgan scored a goal that came on a delayed penalty.
- Worcester State padded their lead with one more goal at 5:55 on the powerplay. Mikey Wilson was able to push in a rebound off an initial shot from linemate sophomore Brigham Neuhold.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore goalie Wyatt Friedlander made 24 saves in net for the Lancers.
- Blake Carlson made 26 stops in goal for the Rams.
- Worcester hed the advantage on the powerplay going 2-for-7 while the Rams were 1-of-3 on the man advantage.
The Rams will return to the ice on Saturday evening when they host to Westfield State in MASCAC action at Loring Arena.