By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The top-seeded Framingham State University volleyball team suffered a heartbreaking 3-2 loss Thursday evening to fourth-seed Worcester State University in one semifinal of the 2022 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Volleyball Tournament at Logan Gymnasium in Framingham,
Worcester State 3, Framingham State 2
Game scores 13-25, 25-16, 25-21, 19-25, 15-8
With the loss, Framingham State is now 17-12.
With win, Worcester State improves to 9-21.
With the victory, the Lancers advance to face Westfield State in the MASCAC Tournament Finals which will be played on Saturday afternoon in Westfield.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams jumped out to a 10-4 lead in the first before extending the advantage to 17-7. The Rams took the frame 25-13.
- The two teams traded points to open the second set before the Rams grabbed the lead 11-8. Worcester State battled back tying the frame 14-14 before rattling off six straight taking the lead for good securing the set 25-16.
- The Lancers took third set 25-21 before the Rams tied the match taking the fourth 25-19. The Lancers jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the fifth and led 10-5 on a kill from Camryn Burgio and never looked back securing the upset victory over the Rams.
- The Rams were led by 16 kills and three digs from Hailey Sanders, while Anna Szymanski finished the match with eight kills and 18 digs.
- Isabel Henwood chipped in with five kills, 14 assists and nine digs, while Malia Shields finished the match with 22 digs.
- The Lancers were led by 14 kills and 18 digs from Burgio, while Angela Colonis added seven kills, 15 assists and 15 digs.
- Casandra Millea chipped in with 17 digs, while Megan Bardis added 17 assists.