By Framingham State athletics
WORCESTER – The Framingham State University volleyball team captured a share of the 2022 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) volleyball regular season title with a 3-2 victory over Worcester State Saturday afternoon at Brissette Court in Worcester.
Framingham State 3, Worcester State 2
Game scores 25-22, 23-25, 25-16, 14-25, 15-9
Rams improve to 17-11 overall and 6-1 in the MASCAC
Worcester State drops to 7-22 overall and 4-3 in the Conference.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams and Westfield State both finished the season 6-1 in league play and share the MASCAC Regular Season Title. The Rams will be the one seed in next week’s MASCAC Tournament as they defeated the Owls earlier this season. This is the Rams first regular season title since 2016.
- In the fifth and deciding game, the score was tied at 8-8 before the Rams rattled four straight points including a pair of aces from Kiana Jones to take control of the frame. The Rams closed the set with a 7-1 run to secure the victory and the title.
- The Rams received 12 kills apiece from Hailey Sanders and Anna Szymanski, while Szymanski added 14 defensive digs and three assists.
- Malia Shields finished the match with 11 digs, while Isabel Henwood added 16 assists and seven digs.
- Jones finished the match with six kills, two assists and a team-best six service aces, while Emily Flaherty added four aces and seven digs.
Both teams will be back in action next week in the 2022 MASCAC Volleyball Tournament.
The top seeded Rams will host one semifinal on Thursday night.