By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University volleyball team suffered their first defeat of the season falling 3-0 to Western New England in non-conference action this evening at Logan Gymnasium.
WNEU 3, Framingham State 0 (25-22, 25-17, 25-19)
Framingham State Rams are now 4-1.
Western New England is now 4-2
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The first set was back and forth with the Golden Bears opening an 11-6 lead before the Rams closed the gap to 11-10 with four straight points. The two teams would trade points until the Rams led 22-20 on a Hailey Sanders block. Western would go on to close the frame with five straight points including a pair Sarah Scott kills to take the set 25-22.
- The second set mirrored the first with the game going back and forth with multiple ties and lead changes. Western New England led 18-17 and closed the frame with a 7-0 spurt taking the set 25-17.
- Western New England held off the Rams in the third set 25-19 to secure the three set victory.
- The Rams were led in the match by seven kills and 12 digs from Anna Szymanski, while Kiana Jones finished the match with eight kills and Sanders added six.
- Malia Shields paced the back row with 18 defensive digs and four assists, while Isabel Henwood finished with 11 digs and nine assists. Stella Bailey chipped in with 15 assists and two aces.
- The Golden Bears were led by 20 kills and 20 digs to go along with two blocks from Scott, while Leah Warren added nine kills.
- Liz Long chipped in with 12 defensive digs, while Becca Mayer added 10 and a pair of aces.
- Taylor Geist chipped in with 33 set assists and nine digs for the Golden Bears..
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to UMass Dartmouth for a non-conference tri-match beginning at1 p.m., while the Golden Bears host Emerson and Southern Maine on Saturday for a triangular beginning at 11 a.m