By Framingham State athletics
WESTFIELD – The Framingham State University women’s lacrosse team suffered their first conference defeat of the season this evening falling 20-13 to Westfield State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Alumni Field in Westfield.
Westfield Owls remains undefeated in Conference play at 5-0 and is 10-5 overall.
Framingham State falls to 4-1 in the Conference and is 7-7 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Owls started the game scoring the first four goals including three from Emma Cretella.
- The Rams got on the board on a goal by Madison Skiff with six minutes on the clock, but the Owls’ Cassidy Connolly tallied the final two markers of the frame to give Westfield a 6-1 lead after one quarter.
- The Rams struck first in the second with a goal from Hannah Guerin, but the Owls countered with a goal from Natalie DeMaio.
- Guerin found the back of the net again for the Rams, but two straight by the Owls gave them a 9-3 lead with 4:30 to play. Each team scored once more in the quarter and the Owls led 10-4 at the half.
- The Owls pushed the lead to eight in the third quarter on a pair of occasions including on a Cassidy Harvey tally with just over two to play. Guerin added a man up goal for the Rams in the closing minutes and they trailed 14-7 after three.
- In the fourth, Westfield received a tally in the opening minute from DeMaio, but the Rams responded with three straight cutting the deficit to 15-10 with just over 10 on the clock. Guerin scored first off of a feed from Rachel Erickson. Leah Green scored unassisted, and Guerin found the back of the net solo to cap the run.
- The Owls countered with four straight from four different players pushing the lead to nine, 19-10, with just under eight to play.
- The Rams rattled off three straight cutting the deficit to 19-13 with just under three to play. Regan Fein converted a free position shot, Guerin followed with a goal off a feed from Hailey Baker and then Baker scored off a Fein assist.
- The Owls added a final tally on a free position shot from DeMaio with 1:04 on the clock to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Guerin paced the Rams offensively with six goals and an assist in the game, while Erickson finished the contest with two goals and two helpers.
- Baker tallied two goals with an assist, while Fein found the back of the net once and assisted on two.
- DeMaio finished the game with six goals for the Owls, while Connolly tallied five and assisted on one.
- Cretella collected four goals and three assists, while Harvey finished with three goals and a helper.
- Alexis Burleigh took the loss in net for the Rams and made 11 saves, while Sydney Smith made seven saves in three quarters of action between the pipes for the Owls.
- Westfield State held a 39-29 edge in shots for the game and slim 17-15 edge in ground balls.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Wednesday when they host Mass. Maritime at 7 p.m., while the Owls face Worcester State on Tuesday night.