By Framingham State athletics
MYRTLE BEACH, SOUTH CAROLINA – The Framingham State University baseball team received three hits apiece from Lucas Basile and Joey Fasolino, but the Framingham State Rams were defeated 12-8 by the Suffolk Rams Thursday afternoon in non-conference action at the Polo Grounds Field in South Carolina.
Framingham State drops to 1-7 overall.
Suffolk improves to 5-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Suffolk got on the board first on a three run homer off the bat of Joe Ward, but the Rams cut the gap to 3-2 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the second. Steven Burbank struck first with a solo home run to right and Basile reached on an infield RBI single driving in the second.
- Suffolk used a four run fourth inning opening up a 7-2 lead, but the Rams got one back in the bottom of the inning on a Chris Iannetta sacrifice fly.
- Suffolk added a single run in the top of the fifth, but the Rams closed the gap to 8-5 with two in the bottom of the inning. Fasolino delivered an RBI single, and Burbank scored from third on a wild pitch.
- Suffolk added three more in the six and one in the eighth to account for their final runs of the game extending the lead to 12-5.
- The Rams rallied for three runs in the bottom of the ninth on an RBI double by Evan Kirkpatrick and an RBI single off the bat of Fasolino. Matthew Shaver drove in the final run of the game when he reached on a fielder’s choice.
- Scott Nosky took the loss on the hill for the Rams going seven innings allowing seven earned runs on seven hits with two strikeouts.
- Basile finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate with an RBI and hit by pitch, while Fasolino finished the game 3-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI. Kirkpatrick and Burbank each recorded two hits.
- Shawn Nosky earned the win for Suffolk going five innings allowing five earned runs on six hits with six strikeouts, while Nick Reiser earned the save going four innings allowing three runs on seven hits.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Friday when they close out their spring trip with a pair of games against Westminster beginning at 12 p.m.