FRAMINGHAM – The City of Framingham Fire Department was called to Hemenway Elementary School Monday morning, November 15, for a “smell of exhaust.”
The Framingham Fire Department determined the “smell of exhaust was from two large outside generators being used by the Mary Ann Morse Heritage” which is adjacent to the Water Street School.
Students and staff evacuated the building around 11:30 a.m. and were outside for about 35 minutes.
Around 11:30 a.m. “teachers began to notice the smell of exhaust both inside and outside of Hemenway School. Erring on the side of caution, I notified students and staff that the fire alarm was going to go off, not because of a fire, but rather to keep us safe and allow the fire department to figure out what was causing the smell of exhaust,” wrote Framingham Principal Liz Simon in an email to parents. “The Hemenway students were absolutely amazing, well behaved and quietly enjoyed the time outside with their teachers and peers.”