Share, email, print, bookmark SOURCE reports.

BOSTON – Massachusetts public health officials announced tonight, March 21, the Commonwealth’s second death from the coronavirus.

A Middlesex County woman in her 50s died as a result of the illness caused by the coronavirus, according to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

UPDATE: State Sen. Jamie Eldridge said the woman is from Ayer.

[broadstreet zone=”59982″]

The woman had a pre-existing condition that made her more susceptible to severe complications, according to state health officials.

The first death was a man in his 80s, with a pre-existing condition, from Winthrop.

[broadstreet zone=”59983″]

As of today, 525 people had tested positive for the coronavirus in Massachusetts.

More than 5,200 individuals have been tested for the virus in Massachusetts.

There are 15,219 cases in the United States, with 201 deaths, according to the Center for Disease Control. The CDC is not updating numbers on saturday nor Sunday.

John Hopkins Medical Center said there are 24,148 in the United States today. The center said there are 285 deaths in the US, as of today, March 21.

Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker has said the COVID-19 virus is highly contagious.

He said for 80% of Massachusetts residents, it will feel like the flu, but for the other 20%, it would be worse.

But unlike the flu, there is no tested vaccine for Covid-19 in the United States.

Unlike the flu, there is no vaccine for COVID-19.

Many of the things you do to help prevent colds and the flu can help protect you against coronavirus:

  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
  • Clean things that are frequently touched (like doorknobs and countertops) with household cleaning spray or wipes.
  • Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue or your inner elbow, not your hands.
  • Stay home if you are sick and avoid close contact with others.

It is important for residents to continue to practice social distancing.

For all SOURCE reports related to the Coronavirus, click here.

Framingham Public Schools have been closed since Thursday, March 12, and are not scheduled to re-open until April 7, at lease. The Governor ordered all schools in the Commonwealth closed between March 17, and April 6.

Framingham City Hall is closed, but staffers are taking phone calls and answering emails.

The Mayor announced the Framingham Public Libraries and the Callahan Center would be closed through at least March 30.

Framingham Parks & Recreation is closed and Health Director Sam Wong urged residents NOT to use the playgrounds in a video today, March 20.

Restaurants and bars in Massachusetts can only due take-out and delivery through at least April 6.

By editor

Susan Petroni is the former editor for SOURCE. She is the founder of the former news site, which as of May 1, 2023, is now a self-publishing community bulletin board. The website no longer has a journalist but a webmaster.