By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM -The Framingham State University baseball team received a complete game from James Gilleran in the opener and walked off with the victory in game two as the Rams swept a doubleheader with MCLA by scores of 6-4 and 8-7 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Bowditch Field.
Framingham State improves to 16-9 and 7-2 in the MASCAC
MCLA drops to 7-17 and 1-8 in the Conference
- In the opener, the Rams received a complete game from Gilleran on the mound as he went seven innings allowing four earned runs on nine hits with 10 strikeouts.
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the first when Steven Burbank scored on an RBI single from Ryan Boyle.
- Framingham extended the lead to 2-0 on an RBI base hit from Shane Costello in the bottom of the second.
- The Rams pushed the lead to 6-0 on an RBI ground out from Robert Johnston, an RBI double from Gilleran and a two-run single from Matthew Shaver in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- The Trailblazers loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the sixth inning but were only able to push one run across as Gilleran recorded three straight strikeouts to end the inning.
- The Trailblazers received a three-run home run to center from Randy Adams in the top of the seventh closing the gap to 6-4, but Gilleran was able to record three straight outs to end the game.
- Costello and Boyle finished with two hits apiece for the Rams in the opener, while Adam finished the game with two hits and three RBI for the Trailblazers.
- Bryan Rosario took the loss for MCLA allowing six runs, five earned, on nine hits with three walks and two strikeouts.
- The Rams once again got on the board first in the second game in the bottom of the third on an RBI double from Burbank and an RBI single from Boyle.
- The Trailblazers cut the deficit in half on a Noel Medina RBI single in the top of the fourth.
- MCLA took their first lead on a three-run homer to center from Austin Rachiele in the top of the fifth. They added another run in the frame pushing their lead to 5-2.
- The Rams closed the gap to 5-4 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth on sacrifice flies from Burbank and Boyle.
- The Rams knotted the game at 5-5 in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly from Shaver.
- MCLA retook the lead 7-5 in the top of the seven on a two run double from Medina with the bases loaded.
- After Ryan Plocker walked to lead off the bottom of the seventh, Shane Costello was hit by a pitch. Steven Burbank reached on an error on a bunt which allowed a run to score. After an intentional walk loaded the bases for the Rams with no outs, Robert Johnston was hit by a pitch plating the tying run. After an out, Lucas Basile ended the game when he was hit by a pitch forcing home the winning run from third.
- Anthony Panza earned the victory in relief going two thirds of an inning allowing no runs on one hit with a strikeout. Adam Martin started for the Rams and went four and two thirds allowing five earned runs on four hits with six strikeouts. Ryan Morry tossed an inning and two thirds, allowing two runs on two hits.
- Burbank and Boyle finished with two RBI apiece for the Rams in the game, while Medina finished the game with three hits and four RBI for MCLA.
UP NEXT: The Rama are back in action on Monday when they travel to Salem State for a pair of games beginning at 1 p.m.