By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – – The Framingham State University softball team swept a non-conference doubleheader this afternoon with UMass Boston defeating the Beacons 10-2 in six innings in the opener before taking game two 5-4 at Maple Street Field.
Framingham State improves to 17-9 overall.
UMass Boston drops to 16-8
- In the opener, the Rams got on the board first with four runs in the bottom of the second inning. Brooke Grassia plated a run with a single up the middle and Makayla Rooney followed with a two run triple. Camille Desrochers capped the inning with an RBI single.
- The Rams batted around and added five more in the bottom of the third pushing the lead to 9-0. Keely Scotia, Rooney and Carpenter delivered RBI base hits and Desrochers drove in a pair.
- The Beacons got on the board in the top of the fifth inning with a pair of runs on an RBI single from Sydney Sanden and a bases loaded walk by Tam Landry.
- The Rams pushed across a single run in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI fielder’s choice from Scotia with the bases loaded to reach the run rule victory.
- Olyvia Mendonca earned the victory in the circle for the Rams going four innings, allowing two earned runs on seven hits with five strikeouts and two walks.
- Adrianna Fusco took the loss for the Beacons going five and a third allowing nine earned runs on 11 hits with three strikeouts and eight walks.
- Rooney finished the game with two hits, two runs scored and three RBI.
- In game two, the Rams got on the board first with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning. Desrochers plated the first with a single up the middle and Rooney scored on a wild pitch.
- The Beacons cut the deficit in half in the top of the third on squeeze bunt from Sanden.
- The Beacons took their first lead of the day in the top of the fifth inning. Lauryn Bethea delivered a two-run single for the 3-2 lead.
- The Rams knotted the score in the bottom of the inning on a bases load walk from Kelsey McGuill.
- The Rams took the lead for good in the bottom of the sixth on a two-run single from Makayla Rooney.
- The Beacons got one back in the top of the seventh on a Lauren Miner RBI single up the middle. The Beacons had runners on first and second with two outs with Jordan Toomey at the plate. Toomey hit a pop to second and game ended in controversial fashion as the runner was called for interference on the play.
- Ally Moran earned the victory in the circle for the Rams, going seven innings allowing four earned runs on 11 hits with seven strikeouts.
- Emily Doble took the loss for the Beacons, going five innings in relief allowing three earned runs on six hits with five strikeouts.
- Rooney and Desrochers finished game two with two RBI apiece.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action Saturday when they host MCLA for a pair of games beginning at 1 p.m. The Beacons travel to Plymouth State on Saturday at 1 p.m.