By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – Rachel Erickson converted a free position shot with 1:22 to play in the game propelling the Framingham State University women’s lacrosse team to 17-16 victory over Wheaton College in a back-and-forth non-conference contest Wednesday afternoon.
Framingham State (2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first quarter after goals from Leah Green and Hannah Guerin. Wheaton closed the period with three straight goals in the final five minutes to lead 3-3 after one. Lara Finnie scored a pair of goals surrounding a tally by Brooke Harvey.
- The Lyons started the second with a goal from Sophia Gromala before Rachel Erickson scored off a feed from Regan Fein pulling the Rams back within one, 4-3. The Lyons closed the half with a pair of goals and led 6-3 at the break.
- In the third period, Wheaton extended the lead to five, 9-6, just over five minutes into the frame. The Rams closed the quarter with a 6-2 run fueled by three goals from Erickson to take their first lead of the game, 12-11.
- After trading goals to start the fourth quarter, the Rams used back-to-back goals from Erickson and Leah Green to take a 15-12 lead with 7:32 on the clock. Wheaton responded with four straight including three from Finnie to retake the lead 16-15 with 4:46 to go.
- Guerin tied the game off a feed from Erickson with 3:23 to play. After the Rams controlled the draw, Erickson converted the free position giving the Rams the lead back 17-16. The Rams controlled the ensuing draw and were able to run out the clock.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams received eight goals and an assist from Erickson, while Guerin finished the game with four goals and two assists. Madison Skiff and Green each found the back of the net twice.
- Wheaton received two goals apiece from Jessie Kilburn, Avonlea LeBeau and Gromola, while Finnie also finished the day with eight goals.
- Isabella DiMare earned the victory in net for the Rams making 11 saves, while Emily Oundjian took the loss but made six stops.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Tuesday afternoon when they face Ohio Northern at 1 p.m., while Wheaton travels to Clark on March 18 at 12 p.m.