Framingham State Rams Defeat MCLA 63-56
By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University men’s basketball team erased a double digit second half deficit and held off a late comeback from MCLA as the Rams defeated the Trailblazers 63-56 this evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Logan Gymnasium.
Framingham State improves to 5-18 overall and 2-8 in the Conference.
MCLA drops to 7-13 overall and 3-6 in the MASCAC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams started the game with an 11-0 run over the first three minutes featuring threes from Juran Ligonde, JD Okafor and Bryan Thompson.
- The Trailblazers responded with a 17-3 spurt over the next six minutes capped by a Amon Moore layup taking a 17-14 lead.
- After trading baskets over the next five minutes, MCLA led 23-22 with just over six to play. The Trailblazers closed the frame with a 10-2 run taking a 33-24 lead at the half.
- The Rams used a 16-5 run to start the second half to take a 40-38 lead with just over 11 to play. Ivan Nyantenji drained a pair of threes on the run including the go ahead three.
- The two teams traded points and the lead over the next six minutes. The Rams led 47-45 after a Ligonde layup, but back-to-back threes put MCLA on top 51-47 with five on the clock.
- Baskets from Okafor and Ligonde and another Nyantenji three put the Rams back on top 54-51 with 2:42 to play.
- A Ligonde dunk with 1:06 to play pushed the Rams lead to 56-51, but MCLA answered with a Korey Greenland basket cutting the deficit to 56-53 with 54.2 to play.
- A three from Jake Bluestein pulled MCLA to within two (58-56), but Nyantenji sank one of two at the line putting the Rams up 59-56 with 28.8 remaining.
- On the ensuing possession, MCLA had several looks at the game-tying three but could not connect. Ligonde came down with the defensive board and sank two free throws pushing the lead back to six. Thompson came up with a steal and transition layup to account for the final points of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams saw four players tally double figures in the game. Ligonde led the way with a double double of 19 points and 14 rebounds. Ligonde connected on 7-of-14 from the floor and added two assists and two blocks.
- Okafor finished the game with 15 points on 7-of-10 from the floor and added eight rebounds,
- Nyantenji finished the game with 13 points off the bench as he connected on 4-of-8 from behind the arc, while Thompson finished the game with 12 points, five rebounds and five assists.
- The Trailblazers were led by 13 points from Moore off the bench, while Greenland finished the game with 12 points. 11.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action Wednesday when they travel to Salem State at 5 p.m.