FRAMINGHAM – Framingham State University wants to add women’s ice hockey to its athletic department for the 2023-2024 school year.
The problem is finding a head coach. The University has been advertising for one since last year.
“The University is planning to add a women’s ice hockey program. The hope and plan is to launch in the 2023-2024 season but as you can see our efforts to hire a coach for the program are ongoing. We have not begun the recruiting process as we need a coach in place before that can begin,” said the University’s spokesperson to SOURCE last week.
The head coach’s “primary responsibility is instructing student athletes in the rules and fundamentals of the sport of Women’s Ice Hockey,” according to the job posting.
The head coach would be responsible:
- Oversee and coordinate all aspects of teaching skills and strategies for the sport of ice hockey during practice and games of the regular season and playoffs. (at least 50%).
- Provide individual instruction as permitted by the governing rules of the NCAA in the sport of ice hockey.
- Create individual plans, while adhering to all NCAA bylaws.
- Assist with student-athlete welfare, physical health, team concepts and safety.
- Coordinate team logistics with Athletic Department staff and other support personnel such as managers, scorekeepers, etc.
- Adhere to and support all rules, conditions and regulations as set forth by Framingham State University, Conference affiliations and the National Collegiate Athletic Association pertaining to all aspects of the team’s management.
- Serves as designated Title IX Responsible Employee and Campus Security Authority.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan.
- Accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity are integrally tied to all actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
As it is a sports position, the work is evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Framingham State University has a men’s ice hockey program. The team is currently 5-13-1 overall this season.
Women’s hockey — when it begins — would be the 9th women’s sports at the University. The last sport added for women was track & field.
There are only six men’s sports at the university.
In the Conference Framingham State plays in, only Salem State and Worcester State have women’s ice hockey.
Hockey coach applicants should have:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of coaching and/or playing experience
- Successful completion of the NCAA Division III Rules Test for Coaches
It is a part-time non-benefited, contract position, not to exceed 18 hours per week.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
The original deadline was August 22, 2022, but applications are still being accepted.