By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University field hockey team received a goal and an assist from Corlene Guenard as the Rams closed the regular season with a 2-0 victory over Fitchburg State this evening in Little East Conference (LEC) at Maple Street Field.
Framingham State 10-7 overall and 6-6 in the Conference.
Fitchburg State is also 10-7 overall but 8-4 in the Conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first period, the Rams got on the board midway through the second quarter. Guenard sent a pass to Natalia Roehr in the circle and Roehr found the back of the cage for the 1-0 lead just over 23 minutes into the game.
- The third period was once again scoreless with neither team generating many scoring chances.
- The Rams doubled the lead with a goal from Guenard with 8:12 to play in regulation. Guenard converted off a feed from Abby Clark on the left side in transition to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kaitlin Loughlin earned the shutout victory in net for the Rams making four saves, while Jenna Morse took the loss for the Falcons but made three stops.
- The Falcons held a 10-7 edge in shots for the game and each team attempted eight penalty corners.
- Guenard finished the game with a goal and a helper, while Clark added an assist and Roehr added a single marker.
- Prior to the game, the Rams recognized their four seniors – Grace Thompson, Bella Kondi, Bridgette Hasbrouck and Guenard – as part of Senior Night.
Both teams are back in action next week in the Litte East Tournament. Framingham State is the eighth seed and will travel to top seed Southern Maine on Tuesday, while the Falcons await the results of the remaining league games tomorrow to learn their seed and opponent.