First posted at 11:22 a.m. Updated at 11:52 a.m. and updated last time at 12:05 p.m.
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham Fire Department shut off the gas main at Keefe Technical High School, after a report of a gas odor inside the school this morning, October 26.
Framingham Fire Chief Michael Dutcher said students and staff reported a “strong odor of natural gas in the building” and the Superintendent of Schools and the Principal “pulled the station to evacuate the building.”
“When we first arrived on the scene, we could not pinpoint the location of the gas leak, but there was a strong natural gas odor in the building,” said Chief Dutcher.
“We shut down the gas main,” said Chief Dutcher.
“We used meters to check on the air quality in the building, and then allowed students and staff back in,” said Chief Dutcher.
“Currently, the building is without gas,” said Chief Ducther at noon.
Eversource has been requested to come and evaluate, said the Chief.
“Earlier this morning, the smell of natural gas was detected in one of our shop wings, we immediately consulted with the Framingham Fire Department and evacuated the building. The fire department shut off our gas line and evaluated the entire building for the presence of gas. Approximately fifteen minutes later, the building was cleared and we resumed our school day with an adjusted lunch schedule to accommodate those who were impacted. Since lunches were already prepared for the day, we can resume normal operations without gas.The gas will remain off until we fully assess and resolve the source of the concern later today,” emailed Superintendent Jon Evans in an email to families.