By Framingham State athletics
SALISBURY, MARYLAND – The Framingham State University softball team was defeated 9-5 Saturday evening by by Penn. State Berks in an elimination game of the 2022 NCAA Division III Softball Championship at Sea Gull Stadium.
With the win Penn State Berks are now 27-12 overall.
With the loss, Framingham State’s softball season comes to an end with a record of 23-19.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Penn State Berks got on the board first with three runs in the bottom of the second inning, but the Rams answered with two in the top of the third. Brooke Grassia singled in both runs in the frame for the Rams.
- The Rams tied the game 3-3 on an Ava Rodrigues RBI double to left center in the top of the fourth, but Berks took the lead for good with two in the bottom of the frame.
- Penn State added four in the bottom of the fifth opening up a 9-3 lead.
- The Rams would push across two in their final at bat of the season to reach the final margin. Shelby Roode singled home a run and Grassia scored on a wild pitch.
- Ally Moran took the loss for the Rams going three and two thirds in relief allowing six runs, three earned, on five hits with three strikeouts.
- Grassia finished the game 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI, while Mercedes Jimenez and Kelsey McGuill also picked up two hits apiece in the game.