By Framingham State athletics
EWING, NEW JERSEY – The Framingham State University women’s lacrosse team was defeated 19-9 by St. Mary’s (MD) on a rainy Saturday afternoon in an opening round game of the 2022 NCAA Division III Women’s Lacrosse Championship Tournament.
With the win St. Mary’s is now 13-5 and advances to the second round of the tourney.
With the loss, Framingham State’s season ends with a record of 11-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first quarter, St. Mary’s jumped out to a 5-0 lead before Hannah Guerin converted a free position shot to cut the deficit to 5-1 with just over five on the clock.
- After a St. Mary’s tally, Regan Fein found Rachel Erickson in front of the net for a goal making the score 6-2 after one.
- St. Mary’s used a 5-0 run to start the second period and opened an 11-2 lead with 8:30 on the clock.
- Fein connected with Erickson one again for a tally and Fein took the ensuing draw control, carried it down the field and found the back of the net cutting the deficit to 11-4.
- Guerin added her second of the game with 4:28 on the clock in the second making the score 13-5, but St. Mary’s closed the half with two straight and led 15-5 at the break.
- St. Mary’s maintained the 10 goal lead for the remainder of the game as they move on to the second round.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Erickson paced the Rams with four goals in the game, while Guerin finished with three.
- Fein finished the game with a goal and two assists, while Hailey Baker added a helper.
- Lucy Gussio and Hailey Betch paced St. Mary’s with four goals apiece, while Susanna Schmidt finished with two.
- Alexis Burleigh took the loss in net for the Rams but made nine saves. Maddie Clemmer made 10 stops for St. Mary’s.