By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – – The Framingham State University softball team rallied from a three run deficit in game one and a four run deficit in game two as the Rams came from behind to defeat Wentworth 10-9 and 11-7 Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference doubleheader at Maple Street Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
Game 1: Framingham State 10, Wentworth 9
- The Leopards got on the board in the top of the first inning on an RBI triple from Briana Beverly and an RBI ground out from Aurora Wilks.
- The Rams cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the inning on an RBI double by Shelby Roode.
- The Rams took their first lead of the day, 3-2, with a pair of runs in the bottom of the second. Morgan Poli delivered an RBI single and Mercedes Jimenez scored on a wild pitch.
- Wentworth took the lead back in the top of the third with a pair of runs and added two more in the top of the fourth to lead 6-3.
- The Rams plated four runs in the bottom of the fifth including an RBI pinch hit double for Abby Clark and a two run triple to right from Kyleigh McGreevy to retake the lead, 7-6.
- The Rams tacked on three more in the bottom of the sixth extending the lead to 10-6 heading to the seventh.
- Beverly led off the top of the seventh with a solo homer to right for the Leopards. Ceilidh Higgins and Erin Hancock added RBI base hits closing the gap to 10-9, but Caroline Hughes was able to end the game with a strikeout.
Game 2: Framingham State 11, Wentworth 7
- In game two, the Leopards once again grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on an Alexandra Pina RBI single.
- The Rams tied the game in the bottom of the inning on a Jimenez RBI ground out.
- Wentworth plated three runs in the top of the second and one in the third to open up a 5-1 lead. Beverly delivered a two run triple in the second and Sabrina Haarstick added an RBI double in the third.
- The Rams plated six runs in the bottom of the fifth to retake the lead for good. Gwendolyn Carpenter plated the first with a single down the leftfield line and Kelsey McGuill followed with a two run single of her own. Clark added an RBI single and McGuill scored on a wild pitch.
- Camille Desrochers, who set a new FSU career mark for doubles earlier in the game, launched a solo homer to center in the bottom of the sixth and McGuill added a three run double pushing the Rams lead to 11-5.
- The Leopards threatened in the top of the seventh with Beverly leading off with a single and scoring on a wild pitch. Higgins added an RBI ground out, but that was as close as the Leopards would get as Hughes got a ground out to end the game.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they open league play hosting Mass. Maritime at 1 p.m., while the Leopards host Curry on Saturday for a pair of games beginning at noon.