By Framingham State athletics
CLERMONT, FLORIDA -The Framingham State University softball team opened the 2022 season this evening and were defeated 10-3 by Wesleyan before rallying for a 10-2 victory over Fredonia at the Spring Games.
Framingham State is now 1-1 on the season.
It was the season opener for Wesleyan who is now 1-0.
Fredonia is now 1-6 overall
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
Game 1: Wesleyan 10, Framingham State 3
- Wesleyan took a 4-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning, but the Rams answered back a run in the bottom of the frame when Ava Rodriquez came around to score.
- Wesleyan added a single run in the fifth and four more in the sixth to open up a 9-1 lead.
- The Rams tacked on two in the bottom of the frame cutting the score to 9-3. Gruca delivered and RBI single and Brooke Grassia added an RBI double.
- Wesleyan added a single run in the top of the seventh and the Rams did not score in the bottom of the inning.
- Brooke Williams earned the win in the circle for Wesleyan going five innings and allowing three earned runs on four hits.
- Ally Moran took the loss for the Rams going five and two thirds allowing nine runs on eight hits with three strikeouts. Caroline Hughes tossed an inning and a third in relief allowing one run.
Game 2: Framingham State 10, Fredonia 2
- Fredonia got on the board first with a run in their first at bat, but the Rams tied the game in the top of the second an RBI double off the bat of Hannah Pelletier.
- A single run in the fifth on a Camille Desrochers solo homer to center put the Rams on top 2-1.
- The Rams extended the lead to 3-1 in the top of the sixth on an RBI fielder’s choice off the bat of Gwendolyn Carpenter.
- Fredonia cut the deficit to 3-2 in the bottom of the frame as they scored on the back end of an attempted double steal.
- The Rams bats came alive for seven runs in the top of the seventh to reach the final margin. Pelletier once again delivered an RBI base hit and Carpenter added a grand slam home run.
- Desrochers recorded three hits in the game with two RBI, while Pelletier went 2-for-3 in the game with two runs driven in.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Monday at the Spring Games when they face Wisconsin-Lacrosse and St. Lawrence.