By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University women’s basketball team secured the 2021-22 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Regular Season Championship and the top seed in next week’s MASCAC Tournament with a 91-70 victory over Salem State Wednesday evening at the Athletic Center in Framingham.
With the win the Rams, remain undefeated in the Conference at 11-0. They have a 19-3 record overall and will be the #1 seed in the Conference tournament.
Salem State falls to 6-17 overall and 4-8 in the Conference.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams earn their second straight MASCAC Regular Season Title and will be the number one seed in next week’s MASCAC Tournament for the second time in a row.
- Katty Haidul paced the Rams offensively with a career-high 25 points on 11-of-21 from the floor. Haidul finished the game with a double double as she grabbed a team-high 15 boards.
- Flannery O’Connor and Krysta Padellaro also finished with double doubles for the Rams. O’Connor tallied 24 points on 7-of-13 from the floor and 10-of-13 from the line, while grabbing 11 boards. Padellaro scored 23 on 11-of-19 from the field to go along with her 11 rebounds.
- Gwendolyn Carpenter chipped in with seven points and 11 assists for the Rams, while Camille Desrochers finished with eight points, five rebounds and five assists.
- The Vikings were led by a double double from Liz Zaiter. Zaiter tallied 20 points on 8-of-15 from the floor and added a game-high 20 rebounds.
- Gabby Torres tallied 15 points with two rebounds, five assists and two steals off the bench for the Vikings, while Irianis Delgado chipped in with 13 points.
- Prior to the game, the Rams recognized their three seniors – Desrochers, Padellaro and Rai Edwards-Thomas – during Senior Night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams opened the game with a 6-0 run fueled by two buckets from Haudul and one from O’Connor. The Rams extended the lead to 17-6 midway through the frame on a floater in the lane from O’Connor.
- Salem State closed the gap to nine on Delgado basket, but the Rams closed the first quarter with an 8-2 run and led 25-10 after one.
- The Rams extended the lead to 37-17 midway through the second, but the Vikings used a 10-3 run capped by a Torres three cutting the deficit to 40-27 with just over three to play. The Rams closed the half with a 6-2 run capped by a Haidul jumper in the paint to lead 46-29 at the half.
- The Vikings opened the third quarter with six straight points including a Kylie Gates basket to cut the deficit to 46-35.
- The Rams answered with a 14-4 spurt of their own capped by a Desrochers three and a Haidul layup in traffic to push the lead back to 58-39 with just over five on the clock. The Rams led by as many as 25 down the stretch in the third and maintained the sizeable lead throughout the fourth quarter securing the MASCAC Regular Season Title.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Worcester State at noon, while the Vikings are off until next week’s MASCAC Tournament.
Photo courtesy of Framingham State athletics