FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham Public Library is advertising for an Assistant Head of Information and Research Experience.
The full-time position has a salary range of $50,507 to $68,943, and requires working some weekends.
The position has a broad array of responsibilities assisting in leading the Information and Research Experience Services department for the Framingham Public Library. Provides a warm, welcoming and accessible patron experience for all library users. Assumes primary responsibility for all operations of the Research and Information Services department, system-wide, in the absence of a supervisor.
Applicants should have Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution; two to four (2-4) years of library and supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
The individual also would:
▪ Collaborates with the Head of Information and Research Experience to plan, coordinate and supervise information and research services at the Main and Branch Library. Schedules, trains and evaluates research and information staff in providing information services and programming
for the public.
▪ Provides expert guidance, using print and electronic resources, to patrons requesting information, thereby promoting increased use of library resources. Assists patrons in borrowing and using all library materials and accessing digital resources. Provides information on library policies and procedures. Contributes to refinement of library policies and procedures as required.
▪ Works with the Head of Library Technology and Emerging Technology Specialist to update reference and resource guides on the library website.
▪ Promotes and supports a culture of collaboration and best practices among all library staff.
▪ Works with the Head of Information and Research to train staff in departmental operations.
Promotes and provides exemplary customer service to staff and public.
▪ Complements the Supervisor of Community and Outreach Services and Adult Programming Committee’s arts and enrichment programming with planning and executing adult instructional programming focused on technology and skill-building.
▪ Participates in an array of system-wide programs for the public, and effectively promotes Information and Research Experience Services. Promotes increased use of library materials through book talks, author visits, technology classes and lectures.
▪ Participates in the selection of reference materials.
▪ May prepare and lead book discussions.
▪ Ensures accessibility of library services for all patrons. Refers issues to Library Administration as required.
▪ Creates attractive displays to showcase and highlight library materials for the public in all formats.
▪ Under the direction of the Head of Technology, acts as the mini-key user for the Information and Research Department; troubleshoots technology as necessary.
▪ Works with the Head of Information and Research to assist in developing a flexible, adaptive Information and Research schedule. May create and facilitate schedules in the absence of the Head of Information and Research.
▪ Views change as a welcome opportunity to review, assess and analyze library services. Freely shares innovation, ideas for cost efficiencies and improvement suggestions with Library Administration.
▪ Is pro-active in bringing emerging technologies and visions for improvement and implementation of information and research services to the public.
▪ Accurately collects and maintains library statistics as required for the ARIS report or requested by Library Administration.
▪ Participates on Library committees and working groups, including but not limited to eResources Team, Collections, Programming, Marketing, Social Media, and Minuteman Library Network Committees. Keeps up to date on library innovations and trends in information and research
services through professional journals, professional development and networking.
▪ Supports and assists in realizing Library initiatives, projects, and goals set forth in the Library’s Long Range Plan and Yearly Action Plans.
Individuals can apply at www.framinghamma.gov/jobs