MARLBOROUGH—On September 28, six new firefighters will begin employment with the City of Marlborough due to recent retirements.
Marlborough restored merit to public safety hiring when the administration did away with the Civil Service testing in 2017.
“In addition to practical experience, these new recruits went through a battery of testing enabling us to hire the very best candidates to fill vacancies. We had a vast talent pool to choose from, and I look forward to working with these new employees as they acclimate to their assigned units,” said Marlborough Fire Chief Kevin J. Breen.
“It’s a challenging time for public safety employees and it’s important that we choose the most qualified applicants. Chief Breen and his staff have selected some well-rounded individuals with a multitude of backgrounds and experience,” said Mayor Arthur Vigeant.
Firefighters’ main objective is to protect lives and property and these skilled professionals will become part of the MFD brotherhood:
- Ralph J. Cacciapaglia, is a Marlborough resident and a combat Veteran of the United States Army. He served as an Army Ranger team leader and is a Purple Heart recipient. Additionally, Ralph has earned a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Boston College, Carroll Graduate School of Management.
- Dylan J. Conway is a member of the Army National Guard and is trained as a combat medic. He also serves as a per diem Firefighter/EMT for the Chichester, NH Fire Department. Dylan is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Fire Science Management at the American Military University. He is a third-generation firefighter and was named fire explorer of the year in 2015at the Hudson, NH Fire Department.
- Charles J. Borowy is a seasoned firefighter with more than 13 years of experience including serving as a Lieutenant Paramedic for Holden Fire Department for the past three years. Charles is a certified fire officer, fire instructor and fire prevention officer and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Science from Anna Maria College.
- Matthew M. James is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps having served his country for five years. He comes to Marlborough with a lot of firefighting experience as he has been a certified Firefighter/EMT for Maynard Fire Department for the past five years. Additionally, he holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Science from Anna Maria College.
- Alex G. Martinec is already an experienced, full time, career firefighter having worked as a Firefighter/EMT for the Maynard Fire Department for the past four years. Furthermore, he was the recipient of the Richard N. Bangs Award in his firefighter recruit training program at the Massachusetts Fire Academy. This award is presented to the student with the highest academic record. Alex is also pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree from Columbia Southern University.
- Matthew E. Vickery is a veteran firefighter with 10 years of experience including serving as a full time Firefighter/EMT with Concord Fire Department for the past six years. He is also a licensed Master Electrician and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Emergency Management from Waldorf University.
Above is a press release from the City of Marlborough