The following is a media release from the Governor’s office to SOURCE media. It is published as received.
BOSTON – The Baker-Polito Administration today launched a Spanish language online, mobile-friendly, unemployment benefits application for those who need to apply.
The new, secure application for Spanish speakers is available through mass.gov/desempleo, the Spanish language website for unemployment in Massachusetts.
The Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) will make language applications available in Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Chinese, Vietnamese and additional languages in the coming days.
The new Spanish language UI form is the latest effort from the Commonwealth to deliver crucial COVID-19 information to non-English speakers, including:
- Yesterday, the Administration announced that its COVID-19 text message alert system is available in Spanish
- The Commonwealth’s non-emergency help line for COVID-19, 2-1-1 is available in over 150 languages
- Several agencies, including the Department of Public Health, offer additional fact sheets available in multiple languages
The Department of Unemployment Assistance is focused on supporting workers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and continues to process claims as quickly as possible.
The new Spanish mobile-friendly application is among several efforts to reach and assist all individuals who are eligible for unemployment benefits and provide the financial assistance they need. Other efforts include:
- Rapidly updating the DUA website with the latest information that claimants and employers need to know, what the latest federal legislation means for them, and a step-by-step guide to filing a claim available in multiple languages.
- The unemployment contact form to reach a DUA agent is also available in multiple languages.
- Hosting daily town halls in both English and Spanish, which have been attended by over 100,000 constituents. Individuals can sign up to attend a virtual town hall at mass.gov/unemployment/townhall or at mass.gov/desempleo.
- Deploying over 600 new remote employees to keep pace with the increased volume of unemployment insurance claims, and adding language capacities in the call center to better serve residents across the state.
- Legislation proposed and signed by Governor Baker waiving the one-week waiting period to collect an unemployment claim payment.
The Baker-Polito Administration will continue to update the public on developments related to COVID-19. Residents can visit www.mass.gov/covid19 for the latest information, call 2-1-1 with questions, and text “COVIDMA” to 888-777 to subscribe to text-alert updates (COVIDMAESP for Spanish language alerts).