By Framingham State athletics
BOSTON – The Framingham State University baseball team opened the 2023 season and were defeated 7-1 by the University of Massachusetts Boston Beacon in non-conference action this afternoon at Monan Park in Boston.
It was the season opener for Framingham State who is now 0-1.
UMass Boston won its first game this season and is 1-1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- After a scoreless first inning, the Beacons took the lead for good with a single run in the second.
- The Beacons added three runs in the third and two more in the bottom of the fourth extending the lead to 6-0. A solo run in the seventh accounted for the Beacons seventh run of the game.
- The Rams got on the board in the top of the ninth. Shane Costello singled and after a pair of outs moved to second on a single from Evan Kirkpatrick. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch and Costello came around to score on an RBI single to left from Lucas Basile.
- Cam Gilroy and Steven Burbank recorded two hits apiece for the Rams with Gilroy collecting a double and Burbank a triple, while Basile finished 1-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
- Scott Nosky took the loss for the Rams going three innings allowing four earned runs on six hits with a walk and a strikeout. Vincent LoGuidice tossed four innings in releif and allowed three earned runs on six hits with two walks and two strikeouts. Anthony Panza tossed and inning of scoreless relief. .
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Wednesday afternoon when they face Emerson College at the NEBC at 3:30 p.m.