ASHLAND – Under the direction of the Director and adhering to District policies, the Veterans Agent delivers essential services to Veterans and their eligible dependents residing in the communities of the district (Ashland, Holliston, Hopkinton and Medway).
Agent will provide administration of federal, state and local benefits to assist veterans, widows and dependents in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws (MGL) Chapter 115.
Agent assists eligible veterans and family members in filing for benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts such as; M.G.L. Chapter 115, VA disability claims, pension claims, the GI Bill, state tax exemptions & bonuses, and burial benefits. The Agent will participate in the observance of Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day in one of the communities.
The Veterans Agent is required to attend initial training on Veterans Benefits and annual training conducted by the Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services. The Veterans Agent must be Certified as a Veterans Services Officer (VSO) within one year of hire, and maintain certification per Massachusetts General Laws.
- Candidate must be an honorably discharged United States Veteran as defined by clause Forty-Three of Section Seven of Chapter Four of Massachusetts General Laws. (MGL Chapter 4, Section 7, Clause 43). Those possessing a discharge Under Honorable or General Discharge will be considered on a case by case basis.
- High school education or GED required. Associates Degree in human services, social work, education, or a related field preferred. Extensive knowledge of both Federal and State Veterans Benefits will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Knowledge in the use of electronic media, including proficiency in the use of MS Excel and MS Word. Must have the capacity to easily adapt to various internet-based programs including the effective research and extracting of information from various web-sites, pertinent to veteran’s benefits.
- Excellent oral and written communication, as well as exceptional public relations.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license and the use of a reliable motor vehicle.
Starting salary rate of $19 per hour.
Training provided primarily at the Central Office, 1750 Washington St. Holliston. Office hours for training in Hopkinton, Medway and Ashland will be on site, relevant equipment made available for use, and mileage reimbursement (but not from/to HOR).
The work schedule is Wednesdays 9 AM to 4:30 PM (half hour unpaid lunch); Thursdays 12 PM to 4 PM; and Fridays 8 AM to 12 Noon.
There may be some changes to the schedule upon training completion.
Agent is required (mandatory) to attend annual training by the Massachusetts Department of Veteran Services. Agent may attending annual training/conference by the Massachusetts Veterans Services Officers Association (optional). Both training sessions are four days each and compensated at the hourly rate of pay.
Selected candidate must produce a copy of their last Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, (DD Form 214 or similar Department of Defense / War Department Form) at time of interview.
To apply for this position, please submit resume and Employment Application.to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications may also be brought to Holliston’s Town Hall, Human Resources Department. Applications will be accepted until noon February 11, 2022.
Employment Applications may be found on the Town of Holliston’s website at townofholliston.us.
Position will remain open until February 11, 2022 or until filled.