By Framingham State athletics
BRIDGEWATER – The Framingham State women’s basketball held the Bridgewater State Bears to just five points in the second quarter and held onto an 81-73 win Saturday afternoon in Bridgewater.
Framingham State improves to 13-4 overall and 5-2 in the MASCAC
Bridgewater State drops to 15-5 overall and they suffered their first loss in the Conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears jumped out to an eight-point lead late in the first quarter which the Rams erased with an 8-0 run to end the first, capped by a Katherine Haselton layup right near the buzzer to send the two teams into the second tied 22 all.
- The Rams outscored the Bears 19-to-5 in the second quarter holding the Bears to 1-of-16 from the floor in the period. Kelsey Yelle scored seven points in the second to help stretch the Rams lead.
- The Bears would cut into the Rams lead in the third and cut the game to three points when Sydney Bradbury hit the back end of her two free throws but the Rams would score the next seven points to push the spread back to ten near the end of the frame.
- The Bears made another run late in the fourth when a Bradbury trey cut the Rams lead to three with just over two minutes to play. Katty Haidul sunk a layup on the Rams end and forced the Bears to foul. The Rams went 6-for-6 from the line to ice the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Haidul led the Rams with 20 points with six rebounds, two assists and two steals. Gwendolyn Carpenter scored 19 threating a triple-double with eight boards and nine assists.
- Kelsey Yelle played 30 minutes off the bench for the Rams contributing a career high 17 points and 13 rebounds for the double-double.
- The Bears got a game-high 30 points from Kylie Grassi who was 10-of-11 from the line. Bradbury scored 19 with seven boards and five assists.
- The Rams were 45% from the floor but a killer 25-of-27 from the free throw line for a 93% clip.
- The Bears shot just 26% from the field and 84% from the charity stripe.
The Rams return to the court on Wednesday when they host Westfield State at 7:30 in Framingham.