By Framingham State athletics
BRUNSWICK MAINE – Framingham State junior forward Flannery O’Connor scored a game-high 21 points being named to the Coastal Classic All-Tournament team leading the Rams to a 69-61 win over Maine Maritime on Saturday afternoon in Brunswick.
The Rams improve to 3-1 overall
Maine Maritime drops to 2-2 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams jumped out to a 15-3 lead midway through the first quarter capped by a Krystalee Fernandez layup and the Rams would push their first half lead to as much as 22 on a Katherine Haselton basket in the final minute of the second half.
- Maine Maritime fought back in the second half outscoring the Rams 19-10 in the third quarter and cutting the defecit to five in the final minute of regulation, but the Rams Gwendolyn Carpenter would go 8-for-8 at the free throw line to seal the victory for the Rams.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O’Connors 21 points led all scorers as she picked up 11 boards for her fourth straight double-double. Katherine Haselton scored twelve points with six boards two steals and an assist. Carpenter chipped in eleven points going nine of ten from the charity stripe.
- Grace Huntwork led the Mariners scoring 13 points off the bench while Erianna Moore and Evelyn Dagan scored 11 and ten points respectively.
- The Rams shot 40% from the field and 75% from the line. The Mariners were 32% from the floor and 77% from the charity stripe.
The Rams will travel to Lasell University for non-conference action on Tuesday at 6 p.m.