By Framingham State athletics
FITCHBURG – The Framingham State University ice hockey team tallied the tying goal in the closing minute of the regulation forcing overtime as the Rams went on to earn a hard fought 3-3 draw with Fitchburg State University Saturday evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at the Wallace Civic Center in Fitchburg.
Framingham State is now 2-1-1 overall and 1-1-1 in the Conference
Fitchburg Falcons have an identical record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams scored the game’s first goal just 2:31 into the match. Devante Dixon’s shot from the blue line caromed off the end board and tucked in behind the Falcons’ netminder, Max Macchioni.
- The Falcons’ answered on the power-play. Michael Macchioni tipped in Egan Wolford’s blast from the blue line.
- Cole Archambeault gave the Falcons’ a 2-1 advantage at 15:25 as he skated out of the corner and deposited a wrist-shot into the back of the net.
- A backhanded tally from Dylan Marty evened the score at 2-2 in the second frame. The Falcons answered seconds later as Corey Tumenas notched his first collegiate goal off a feed from Wolford.
- With less than a minute remaining in regulation, the Rams pulled their goaltender for a 6-on-5 advantage and Patrick Colgan had a seeing eye goal from the blue line to knot the game a 3-3.
- The teams had several quality chances in the overtime period, but both goaltenders turned in outstanding performances.
- The Falcons held a 52-31 advantage in shots for the game and converted on 1-of-9 with the man advantage.
- Max Macchioni posted 28 saves for the Falcons, while Blake Carlson tallied 49 for the Rams.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they travel to Post for a non-league game at 8 p.m.