By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University football team closed the 2022 season tonight, November 11, with a 21-16 victory over Worcester State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) tilt at Bowditch Field. in Framingham.
Framingham State is 5-5 overall and 4-4 in the MASCAC
Worcester State ends the season at 1-9 overall and 1-7 MASCAC
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
· The Rams amassed 351 yards of total offense in the game including 255 on the ground, while the Lancers accumulated 278 yards of offense.
· Running back Devaun Ford rushed for 125 yards on 28 carries. Ford’s 125 yards tonight puts him over 1,000 yards rushing for the second time in his career. Ford has 1,091 yards this season on 213 carries.
· Bookie McBean rushed for 81 yards on nine carries with a pair of scores.
· Quarterback Noah Leonard rushed for 52 yards on nine carries, while also completing 6-of-10 for 96 yards with a touchdown.
· Mike Loveless completed 5-of-8 for the Lancers for 54 yards, while rushing for 28 yards on five carries with a touchdown.
· Amir Mells rushed for 67 yards on 15 carries with a touchdown, while Nico Holmes rushed for 60 yards on 18 carries.
· The Rams defense was paced by seven solo tackles from Cully Curran, while Adeboye Oyaronbi added seven stops including five solo and one for a loss.
· The Lancer defense was led by 12 tackles, seven solo from Noah Peterson, while Conor McTigue added seven stops, all solo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· The Lancers took the early lead on a three-yard touchdown from Mells and a 29-yard field goal from Santiago Rodriguez-D’Atri put the Lancers up 9-0 after the first quarter.
· The Rams responded with a pair of second quarter touchdowns taking the lead for good.
· Leonard completed passes of 30 yards to Ford and 31 yards to Nick Gordon that brought the ball down to the six yard line. McBean followed with a six-yard touchdown run and the PAT from Matthew Farley pulled the Rams to within two, 9-7 with 11:30 on the clock.
· In the closing minutes of the second Leonard connected with Manny Lara for an 11-yard touchdown and the 14-9 lead at the half.
· After a scoreless third quarter, McBean found the endzone from four yards out giving the Rams a 21-9 lead with 14 minutes left in the game.
· The Lancers added a late touchdown on a 15-yard run from Loveless to reach the final margin.