By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State women’s basketball team outscored Wellesley 21-2 in the second quarter en route to a 63-30 win on Wednesday evening in Framingham.
It was the season and home opener for the Rams, who are now 1-0.
It was the season opener for Wellesley College, which is now 0-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams jumped out to an early 7-0 lead capped off by a Flannery O’Connor basket halfway through the first.
- The Blue would cut the Rams lead to 11-9 early in the second quarter but the Rams rattled off a 23-0 run stretching into the opening minutes of the third quarter to put the game away.
- The Rams were paced by O’Connor who had a game-high 25 points with 11 boards for the double-double.
- Katty Haidul also posted a double-double in the win for the Rams scoring 17 points and registering ten boards.
- Gabriella Redford chipped in six points off the bench for the Rams.
- Jiyun Chase led the way for the Wellesley Blue with 8 points and four boards. Madison Wieboldt and Shannon Li added five points each.
- The host Rams shot 42% from the field and 14% percent from long range. Wellesley was 24% from the floor and 10% from beyond the arc.
UP NEXT: The Rams will return to the court next Tuesday when they travel to Eastern Nazarene for non-conference action. The Blue will play Lehman College at USJ on Friday evening.