By Framingham State athletics
BOSTON – The Emerson men’s soccer team got goals from senior Shane Biathrow and sophomores Hugo Berville and Theodore Bushara to keep a clean sheet in a 3-0 victory over Framingham State on Tuesday night.
Framingham State falls to 10-4-1.
Emerson improves to 10-1-5
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- It was a stalemate for 34 minutes of the first half when Emerson nearly capitalized on their first scoring opportunity. Freshman Evan Lee sent a header towards the goal, but was quickly turned away by Rams keeper Jake Hartshorn. Lee sent the ball Hartshorn’s way again, but was scooped up.
- Six minutes later on a free kick, Bryce Borletto-McCray got a shot off within a cluster in front of the net that Fitzsimmons stopped on a diving save within the right post to preserve the scoreless game.
- In the 44th minute Emerson finally cashed in and broke the scoreless tie on an unassisted goal from Biathrow to claim the 1-0 edge. Alone at the top of the box, Biathrow booted the ball into the left side and watched it sail over Hartshorn’s head, who was off his line.
- It was in the 63rd minute when Monteiro fired a shot within the left post only to have Fitzsimmons swat away the scoring chance.
- In the 72nd minute Emerson extended their lead to 2-0 off a crossed ball that made its way over to Berville on the right side. Berville then crossed his shot and beat Hartshorn as the goal landed in the bottom left corner.
- With a minute left in regulation, Emerson gave themselves an insurance goal thanks to Bushara, who bounced his goal past Hartshorn’s dive and sealed the 3-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Hartshorn made seven saves in net for the Rams and Ethan Fitzsimmons turned away eight shots in the shutout for the Lions.
- The hosts out shot the Rams 20- to- 13 while the Rams had 6 corners to the Lions 3. Emerson was also called for 17 fouls to only six whistles against the Rams.
The Rams return to action on Saturday when they travel to Worcester State and look to clinch the 2022 MASCAC Regular Season Title.