By Framingham State athletics
DANBURY, CONNECTICUT – Brandi Core scored two goals and assisted on the game-winner to lead Framingham State past WestConn in a double-overtime win in Little East Action Tuesday evening.
Final score Framingham State 3, WestConn 2.
Framingham State Rams now improve to 4-3 and 1-2in the Conference. WestConn drops to 3-6 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 14th minute when Core found the back of the net with a helper coming from Corlene Guenard.
- The duo paired up for another Rams tally in the opening minute of the second half to but the visitors up two goals.
- The hosts would slice the deficit to 2-1 when Sydney Chenoweth took a feed from junior Alessia Callahan and found the back of the cage for her first goal of the season.
- The hosts continued to apply pressure for the remainder of regulation. They evened the count in the 44th minute of play when Silva gathered a rebound in a scrum and fired the ball into the back of the goal.
- WestConn had the first quality scoring chance in the first extra stanza. Callahan rushed up field with the ball but her shot sailed just wide of the post. The visitors made the most of their few overtime chances when Serra blasted home a shot off a penalty corner attempt to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kayla Hnasko made an impressive 14 saves in the setback.
- Kaitlin Loughlin made four saves earning the win in goal for the Rams.
- The Rams led the game in shots 27-to-10 and in penalty corners 12-to-5.
The Rams host Lasell in non-conference action Thursday at 4:30 p.m.