By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University volleyball team suffered a heartbreaking 3-2 five set loss to Mitchell College this evening in a non-conference match at Logan Gymnasium in Framingham.
Mitchell 3, Framingham State 2 (19-25, 25-23, 20-25, 25-22, 18-16)
Framingham State is now 5-3 overall.
Mitchell improves to 5-2 overall
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Rams held off Mitchell in the first set taking the frame 25-19 before the Mariners held off the Rams 25-23 in the second.
- In the third, the Rams closed the frame with a run taking the set 25-20 and the 2-1 lead.
- In the fourth, Mitchell opened up a solid lead, but the Rams came back and pulled within one on multiple occasions. Mitchell, however, held on to take the frame and tied the match at 2-2.
- The fifth set was tied 11-11 and the two teams traded points until Mitchell scored two straight taking the set and the match 18-16.
- The Rams were led on the attack by a team-high 20 kills from Anna Szymanski who also added 16 defensive digs.
- Hailey Sanders chipped in with 13 kills, while Kiana Jones finished with nine.
- The back row was led by 22 digs from Carly Beaulieu, while Malia Shields finished the game with 21.
- Isabel Henwood chipped in with 43 set assists, 18 digs and three aces, while Emily Flaherty added 13 digs.
- The Mariners were led by a match-best 24 kills and 31 digs from Olivia DeLoach, while Allison Blum added 20 kills and 19 digs.
- Molly Steel Miller chipped in with 13 kills, while Claire Binfield finished with 59 assists and eight digs and Julia Lent added 31 digs.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Worcester State at 11 a.m., while Mitchell travels to Mass. Maritime on Saturday at 6 p.m