By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State men’s soccer team used two first half goals to take down the Suffolk University Rams 3-1 in non-conference play Tuesday afternoon in Framingham.
Framingham State is now 2-2-1 this season.
Suffolk University is now 3-2-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams got on the board early in the 8th minute when Gabriel Padilla sent in a strike from about 25 yards out inside the left post for the early 1-0 lead.
- The Rams added to their lead in the 26th minute when a corner kick set up a chance for Sherak Ayamga. His initial shot was saved but the rebound found his feet and he was able to finish it off past the diving Suffolk keeper.
- The Suffolk Rams got on the board in the 66th minute when a long throw-in hit off a Rams defender in the scramble in front of the net. The ball deflected off a couple people before Erik Van Even settled the loose ball and buried it in the corner of the net.
- The Rams answered in the 82nd minute when Bryce Nardizzi converted a penalty kick after a Suffolk foul in the box to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Xander Balong made five stops in net for the visiting Rams.
- Jake Hartshorn earned the win in net for the Framingham Rams making six saves.
- The hosts held the advantage in shots 16-to-13 while the visitors were called for 15 fouls and FSU only 8.
The Rams return to action on Saturday when they open up MASCAC play at Westfield State on Saturday at noon. The Rams will travel to Nichols on Friday for a 3:30 p.m. matchup.