By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Roger Williams University women’s soccer team defeated Framingham State by a score of 2-0 in the 2022 season opener for both squads Thursday afternoon at Maple Street Field in Framingham.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hawks jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the 4th minute when Raffaella Brunetti sent a great cross to Jen Donohue who buried it in the net for her first tally of the season.
- The Rams had a good opportunity to knot the game up in the 40th minute but Hawks goaltender Coco Marrelli made a sliding save, the rebound went to the foot of a Rams player and Marrelli made another diving save to keep the Rams off the board.
- The Rams looked to have an equalizer in the 56th minute but the score was waved off as the FSU player was ruled offside.
- On the ensuing possession RWU converted on a corner kick when Sofie Morris headed in a strike from Grace Kelly to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Marrelli registered four saves in the complete game shutout.
- Jetta Oskirko knocked away seven attempts for the Rams.
- RWU held an advantage in shots, 18-to-9 while the Rams led in corner kicks 7-to-4.
The Rams return to the pitch on Saturday when they host Suffolk at noon.
The Hawks will travel to Babson for non-conference action the same day at 1 p.m.