By Framingham State athletics
DARTMOUTH – The Framingham State men’s soccer team scored late in the second half to force a 5-5 draw with UMass Dartmouth on Thursday night at Cressy Field in Dartmouth.
It was the season opener for the Rams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The host jumped out to an early when Lucas Passaro scored with a helper from Denser Martinez in the second minute of play.
- The fast-paced action continued when Jeffson Malachie scored his first goal of the season off a setup from Brian Sullivan in the 6th minute.
- The Rams would score two more times to take a 3-1 lead. First Gustav Hemmingsen converted on a penalty kick and Bryce Nardizzi scored an unassisted goal in the 25th minute.
- The Corsairs answered with two goals of their own to cap the first half and sent the teams to the break tied at three. In the 36th minute Anthony Canuto got on the board followed by Jacob Cameron’s tally in the 43 minute.
- Jacob tallied again in the 52nd minute to give the hosts the lead before Nardizzi scored his second goal of the day to knot the game up again.
- Jacob Holland gave UMD the lead in the 69th minute but Hemmingsen scored in the 83rd minute for the Rams with a helper from Richard Nunes to force the draw.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jake Hartshorn and Joe Sturzo combined to make three saves in net for the Rams.
- Anthony Buttafoco and Jack Waterhouse also split time in net for UMD and combined for five stops.
- The Rams held the advantage in shots 24-to-17 while the Corsairs had six corner kick attempts to the Rams two.
- The hosts were called for 17 fouls and six cautions while the Rams committed 11 fouls and received two yellow cards.
The Rams return to the field on Saturday, September 3, when they travel to St Joe’s (Conn.) at 7 p.m.