Learned Pond Waterfront Closed Due To Cyanobacteria

Share, email, print, bookmark SOURCE reports.

FRAMINGHAM – Learned Pond is closed to the presence of a toxic algae known as Cyanobacteria.

This means that the water is unsafe for people and pets.

Do not swim in the water. Do not swallow the water. If you come in contact with the water, rinse off.

Health effects associated with blooms vary depending on the type of cyanobacteria, the route of exposure, and the amount of toxins present, according to the Commonwealth.

The state’s website, noted:

  • Ingestion is the primary concern.  Ingesting small amounts of cyanobacteria or toxin can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. Ingesting large amounts of toxins may cause liver or neurological damage.
  • Contact with cyanobacteria can cause skin or eye irritation.
  • Inhaling water spray containing cyanobacteria can cause asthma-like symptoms.
  • Small children and pets are more susceptible to the effects of toxins than adults.

Cyanobacteria occurs when there is “warm weather, sunlight, excess nutrients, and stagnant/slow-moving waters help cyanobacteria grow faster. Specific factors behind each bloom vary because every waterbody is different. However, two of the most common factors are phosphorus and nitrogen, which are found in fertilizers and human/animal waste,” noted the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

editor

email: editor@FraminghamSource.com call or text at 508-315-7176


Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/framin10/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5275

Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/framin10/public_html/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-ssl/class-mixed-content-fixer.php on line 110