By Framingham State athletics
NORTON – Behind a solid pitching performance by Griffin Young the Wheaton College baseball team defeated Framingham State by a score of 14-0 in non-conference action Saturday afternoon at Sidell Stadium in Norton.
Wheaton improves to 5-5 overall.
Framingham State is now 3-9 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Young pitched seven innings of three hit shutout ball allowing three hits and a walk while striking out nine to earn his second victory of the season. Zack Clesas and Max Pierce each pitched a scoreless inning to preserve the shutout for the Lyons.
- Jack Foley took the loss on the bump for the Rams pitching four innings giving up five runs on five hits and five walks while striking out two. Vincent LoGuidice and Teaghin Andre pitched the final four innings out of the bullpen for the Rams.
- Jake Studley led the Lyons at the plate going 2-for-4 with a homer, a double and three RBI. Will Haskell and Anthony Teberio each picked up multi-hit games for the hosts and Kevin Matos went deep in the 7th inning.
- Ryan Boyle led the Rams, going 2-for-4 while Robert Johnson, Kennedy Wilson and Lucas Basile all picked up hits for Framingham State.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wheaton plated two runs in the second and two more in the third to jump out 4-0. A Hasked sacfly in the 3rd and Teberio RBI single in the 5th made it 6-0 before the Lyons exploded for a seven-run seventh capped by Studley’s three-run jack. Nick Croteau’s RBI single in the 8th made it 14 to reach the final margin.
- The Rams best chance to score came in the 7th when Johnston and Boyle both singles to lead off the inning but Wheaton was able to get a flyout and two strikeouts to escape danger.
UP NEXT: The Rams return to the field on Tuesday when they host Gordon College at 3 p.m. at Bowditch Field in Framingham.