By Framingham State athletics
SALEM – The 7th-seed Framingham State University men’s basketball team saw their season come to a close Tuesday evening with a 101-55 loss to second seed Salem State in one quarterfinal of the 2022 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Men’s Basketball Tournament.
The road loss ended the season for the Rams, who were 1-11 in the Conference.
Framingham State’s overall record was 3-22.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams were paced offensively in the game by Jahden Erold. Erold tallied a team-high 17 points on 6-of-12 from the floor and added three rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- JD Okafor and Keith Hollman chipped in with nine points apiece, while Josh Dumay finished the night with seven points. Okafor grabbed three boards and added two assists, while Hollman grabbed seven boards with a pair of helpers.
- The Vikings saw six players tally double figures led by 18 points off the bench from Josiah Green who connected on 6-of-8 from the field.
- Conner Byrne chipped in with 15 points and four rebounds, while Chris MacDonald connected on 5-of-9 from the floor leading to his 13 points.
- Jarret Byrne recorded the game’s lone double double with 12 points and a contest-best 13 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings opened the game with a 10-0 run as Framingham State missed their first six field goal attempts. Dumay’s gave the Rams their first points of the game, but Green quickly answered with a three to put the Vikings in front 13-2 at the 15:17 mark.
- Salem State, which hit eight-of-their-first-12 shots, then extended the lead to 21-5 following a Conner Byrne layup. A Jarret Byrne three pushed the lead to the largest of the half at 23 points, 32-9 with 7:44 left. The Rams shot just 8-for-28 (28.6%) from the field, enabling Salem State to keep the lead near 20 points for the remainder of the half.
- The Vikings maintained and built the lead in the second half in route to the victory that advances them to the semifinals on Thursday night.