Editor’s Note: This is the sixth in a series of Q&As with Framingham Public Library staff. The main Framingham Library and the Christa McAuliffe Library branch were physically closed for more than a year due to the coronavirus pandemic. During that time period, a new director and assistant director were hired. During those months, new staff was hired, some left, and with the library back to its pre-pandemic hours, SOURCE thought it would be great during the prime summer reading season to introduce and re-introduce key library staff to the community, and have staff discuss what the library has to offer and their favorite parts of the libraries.
Framingham Public Library Position: Head of Bookmobile Experience
When started in current position: October 18, 2021
How long with Framingham Library: 4 months
I am responsible for: recreating the library experience into a mobile platform, partnering with local businesses and nonprofits to reach our community members wherever they are to promote personal connection and exploration through reading and other library resources.
1 Favorite Children’s book:
- Picture Book: Can I Be Your Dog by Troy Cummings: I enjoy sharing this book as a read aloud because I have fun doing different voices for all of the characters and I always cry happy tears at the end!
- Early Reader: Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems: I love the excited energy that Piggie brings to these stories!
- J Chapter Books: Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins: If you love a good adventure, you’ll love this series too. These books might even help you find a soft spot for cockroaches and bats.
2. Favorite Book: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
3. Favorite author: Patrick Rothfuss is my favorite author. His descriptive writing makes the picturesque, magical world of The Kingkiller Chronicles come to life. Our main protagonist, Kvothe, is undaunted by the incredible adventures that lay before him. I am eager to be immersed in the world of Kvothe when the final book of this fantasy fiction series is released.
4. Favorite section of the Framingham Library to browse: All of the sections! That is what I love about the Bookmobile; you get the best of everything all in one spot.
5. When I’m in the library, I just can’t help myself and I browse creative staff displays.
6. The best part of my job is getting to go out into the community and meet people. The best, most magnificent part of my job is the moment after handing someone a book that makes them over the moon giddy!
7. I wish people knew the library offered HomeBound services. If you, or a loved one, are unable to visit the library, the library can come to you! Library materials can be delivered right to your front door. If you are interested in this service, please contact the library.
The library also has WiFi hotspots available for checkout. You can even borrow them from the Bookmobile!
8. The Framingham Library Bookmobile needs to get to know you! Come check out the Bookmobile and tell us about yourself, how the Bookmobile can best serve the community, and what you love about Framingham.
9. Last thing I took out with my library card was Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Story of an Owl and his Girl by Stacey O’Brien; I have read this book over a dozen times and I’ll likely read it a dozen more.
10: I would recommend people check out the Bookmobile calendar online and visit one of our local stops. I look forward to meeting you!