By Framingham State athletics
WESTFIELD – The Framingham State University men’s basketball team was defeated 77-49 by Westfield State University Wednesday evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at the Woodward Center in Westfield.
Framingham State falls to 3-16 overall and 1-6 in the Conference.
Westfield State improves to 6-2 in the Conference and 16-4 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams received 18 points and 12 rebounds off the bench from Brett Okundaye. Okundaye connected on 8-of-18 from the floor and added four assists, two steals and a block.
- JD Okafor added eight points for the Rams on 4-of-10 from the floor and added five boards and a steal.
- The Owls saw a trio of players tally double figures in the game. Brendan Hamilton led the way with 12 points, nine rebounds, eight assists and four blocks.
- Justin Rennis added 10 points, three rebounds and three steals, while Kumar Brown added 10 points on 5-of-5 shooting off the bench.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Westfield State jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead before the Owls used a 7-0 run to take a 13-2 lead just over six minutes into the opening half. An Erold three off an Owl turnover halted the spurt for the Owls.
- The Owls pushed the lead to 13 on a JT Thompson layup, but the Rams rattled off six straight cutting the deficit to 17-10 with just under 12 on the clock.
- Westfield pushed the lead to as many as 18 late in the frame before taking a 33-17 lead into the locker room.
- The Owls pushed the lead to 43-23 in the early stages of the second half and maintained a sizeable advantage throughout the half.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Saturday afternoon when they host Fitchburg State at 2 p.m., while the Owls host Salem State on Saturday at 2 p.m.